Hazlet Fire Co. #1, North Centerville Fire Company and West Keansburg Fire Company responded to several false alarms and one major house fire Jan. 17-24, 2019.. Here is the log, from public records.
Thursday, Jan. 17 – At 1:48 p.m., a general alarm was activated at Holiday Inn Express on Route 35. Turned out to be a false alarm.
At 11:24 p.m., a house fire was reported at 618 South Laurel Avenue. All seven occupants evacuated safely. All three fire stations were dispatched and arrived on the scene within minutes. Hazlet EMS also responded. Union Beach EMS and RIT Teams supported Hazlet. Read our interview with the homeowner.
Friday, Jan. 18 – Smoke was reported coming out from under a bus’s engine compartment, a possible electrical fire, around 3:40 p.m. on Middle Road near the police station. Kids were safely evacuated to the library. The bus was towed to Michael A. Loori Bus. Co., Middletown.
Monday, Jan. 21: At 4 a.m., a CO alarm at a residence on Ashleigh Drive was activated. The fire company responded, and the gas company was called, but they found no readings. They returned for another call at the same location at 7:18 a.m., and determined it was a faulty detector.
Tuesday, Jan. 22 – At 5:44 a.m., Hazlet provided mutual aid for a structure fire in Keansburg at 27 Cottage Place that had spread to the house next door.
At 1:58 p.m., they responded to Gregory Street, for the burning smell from a furnace.
At 6:23 p.m., Hazlet Fire and EMS provided mutual aid to Keyport for a structure fire on Manchester Ave.
At 11:46 p.m., Hazlet Fire responded to a report for a pipe break in a vacant house on Fieldcrest Way, which was flooding a neighbor’s house. The fire department had to force their way in to shut off the water.
Wednesday, Jan. 23 – A commercial alarm sounded at 12:43 p.m. at Slab Bar & Grill, formerly known as Park East, at 3352 Route 35. Hazlet Fire reported the inside was extensively flooded, and there were reports of broken pipes. JCP&L was alerted.
At 5:16 p.m., Hazlet Fire responded to a call at Holy Family School, 910 State Highway 36, for a possible broken water pipe in the building. The water has been shut off at the building.
Jan. 24, 3 p.m. –Hazlet Fire rendered services at a South Laurel Avenue residence for the smell of gas. The gas company on the scene was able to get a minor reading.