Hazlet Township’s three fire companies respond to multiple calls every week with urgency. This was what drew out volunteers and trucks in the week Jan. 4-16, 2019, according to public records:
Jan 5, 5:23 p.m.: Hazlet Cinemark, Route 35. A smoke alarm set off due to burnt popcorn
Jan 6, 12:29 p.m. – Baron Shopping Plaza,UnionAve. An alarm set off by accident.
Jan. 6, 5:06 p.m. – Baytul-Iman Academy,LaurelAvenue. Malfunctioning alarm.
Jan. 6, 6:13 p.m. – Coleridge Avenue residence. Two hall smoke alarms went off for burnt toast
Jan. 7: 5:39 p.m. – Knoll Terrace residence. CO2 detector went off for gas, but no readings were detected. Owner was advised to change batteries.
Jan. 8, 10:33 p.m. – Smell of smoke and smell of burning electric in vicinity of S. Laurel and E. Marston avenues, but authorities said the source was coming from a neighbor’s wood-burning stove nearby.
Jan. 10, 11:54 a.m. – Beers Street School, BeersStreet. A patrolman smelled burning electric, but authorities determined it the odor was coming from a large fire in nearby Aberdeen at 75 Highfield. (Hazlet Fire and EMS units were providing mutual aid to that fire.)
Jan. 10, 10:37 p.m. – Route 36 and Davern Avenue. Transformer explosion, wires down, tree down.
Jan. 10, 11:28 p.m. –Lafayette Drive. Homeowner’s dishwasher was sparking and smoking.
Jan. 14, 11:19 a.m. – Union Avenue residence. Fire alarm went off, but it was a false alarm
Jan. 14: 4:49 p.m. – Hazlet Middle School,UnionAvenue. Fire alarm went off, but it was a false alarm.
Jan. 16, 10:01 a.m. – Hudson Avenueresidence. 911 call for fire (wire/gas utilities.) NJNG was contacted.